Monday, January 16, 2012

2011... What a YEAR!!!


As we move into 2012 and start to build and create for a New Year, it's time to look back on the Amazing Year of 2011.

In 2011, I brought back Prof. Crookshank's Traveling Medicine Show and built a functional Showman's Caravan with Ward Wright... then I put on my First Festival, The Carnival Diablo Festival of Wonders (and it was a HIT!)



As Summer turned into Fall, I created 'Cinema Obscura', an alternative Movie Theatre.

Cinema Obscura is a Movie Theatre that travels once a month to the town of Beachburg and Perth, This is NOT your normal movie theatre... there is NO Surround Sound, NO Digital formatted movie... Hell, there are NO *NEW* Blockbusters playing here.

BUT, it is a Movie Theatre that brings you some of the most intriguing and Classic Films from 1924 thru 1975. Horror, Sci-Fi, Comedy, Adventure and Fantasy can be seen through a Vintage 16mm Film Projector and hosted by me, Scott McClelland. As your host, I prepare the audience for the film with stories of Trivia and Sordid Gossip from Behind the Scenes. Creating an interactive atmosphere that carries on through the evening.

Part of my proceeds go towards a local charity each month.


Cinema Obscura opening night in Beachburg- 2011
Cinema Obscura is part Theatre, part Film and one HELL of a good time!
Creature Double Feature for October! The original Frankenstein and also, Young Frankenstein.

 I opened Cinema Obscura Sept. 16th 2011 at the Orange Hall in Beachburg, Ontario and it has been playing to enthusiastic crowds monthly ever since.
It has become so popular that I am opening a second version of it in the town of Perth at the Full Circle Theatre on Feb. 10th 2012.
Our poster for the upcoming Opening of Cinema Obscura in Perth, ON
This is becoming a Fave with cinephiles (lovers of reel cinema) and I am having so much fun putting the events on! This is a monthly deal that will be happening for a looong time, if I have it my way :)

The Fall brought many New ideas to the table, I also opened my First Haunt, 'The Carnival Diablo Chamber of Horrors... a little taster of what I would like to do on a larger scale in the future. The town of Carleton Place asked me to create a Haunt for the Halloween weekend, and I was happy to oblige. I built it in the 'Moore House' a historical building that was over 120 years old. It was very well received and it saw over 500 people through its gates on its opening night!



This was a year of Firsts having created a Showman's Caravan, created the Carnival Diablo Festival of Wonders, opened Cinema Obscura, put on the Carnival Diablo Chamber of Horrors.... and got back to my Art. I created a New World called 'The Grimmtugglies'. This is an imaginary world of Imps and Monsters that live just beyond our realm of understanding. I made paintings of the towns they live in.
The Grimmtuggly Village
I also created sculptures of the creatures themselves and made many accessories that could be collected as part of the charm of owning a Grimmtuggly artifact.
Stanley the Faery of Depression
Grimmtuggly Secret Books

Set up at on of the many Christmas Artisan Fairs
As I booked my Art into different Fairs across the county... I decided to put on my own Christmas Artisan Fair in Beachburg, called The Beachburg Artisan Fair. It was well received by the townsfolk that came (including the Mayor) and will become an Annual Artisan Fair in Beachburg yearly.
Proud owner of a Grimmtuggly collectable at the Beachburg Artisan Fair
As the Christmas Season wore on, I once again threw my Diablo Victorian X-Mass Soiree at the Diablo Manor. It was attended by some of the finest minds in Eastern Canada... and a good time was had by all!
Some of my esteemed guests
I ended 2011 by visiting my Family and Friends in Calgary, Alta. And spent many hours talking and reminiscing about the past and the exciting year ahead. The end of the year was a look back on my life and friendships that have spanned over 30 years in the Entertainment industry. And I am so thankful for all of the support I have had from everyone that has come into my life, past and present.
2011 was a record year, one I will not forget.

And I would not have been able to have accomplished all that I did without the Love, Help and Support of my girl, Jess
Me and my girl, Jess.

But now I have a very Special Year ahead of me as I prepare to celebrate Carnival Diablo's 20th Year Anniversary... and what a year I have planned!

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. If I lived in Ontario, I would not miss a show. When I make it to Canada, I will make sure to see a show!

    ReplyDelete