Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Banners of the Mystique's update

Back in February, I had started working on a large set of banners of Mythological Deities. I have always been interested in Byzantine styled paintings and old religious iconography and these banners are a tribute to our need to create fetishes of what we revere and hold close to our hearts. The paintings have a Freakshow and Lovecraftian feel to them, mixed with a dash of cryptozoological strangeness that makes them nightmarish. I have more work to do on them and have some interesting plans for how they will be shown in the near future. But, I had stated back in February that I would post some pix of the progress... so, without any further ado, I present to you the making of one of these large banners.

Laying down the basic form on canvas...

creating some underlying shadows...

filling in the blanks and fleshing out the concept

adding some color to the head

and adding detail to the face

painting and designing clothing

  I have more work to do on the banner and 
I will post more pix as I get close to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment